Triple Ginger Cookies
- 2-¾ to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon powdered ginger
- 1-½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg, finely grated
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1-¼ cups crystallized or candied ginger, finely chopped
- 1 unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
- ¾ cup dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- ½ to ¾ cup granulated white sugar (for rolling)
- Combine together flour, baking soda, baking powder, powdered ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Sift once to blend. Stir in chopped ginger crystals. Set aside.
- Beat butter until smooth and creamy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Combine together dark and light brown sugar. Gradually beat into the butter, about 5 to 7 minutes, or until very light and fluffy. Gradually pour in molasses in a stream, while beating, until fully incorporated. Beat in grated fresh ginger.
- Divide sifted dry ingredients into three or four equal portions. Beat a portion of this mixture into the butter-molasses mixture until just incorporated. Beat in the second portion. Continue beating, while gradually adding the remaining portions of the flour mixture. If the mixture becomes too thick for beating, remove paddle attachment and fold in or stir remaining flour mixture using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Spread a sheet of plastic wrap on work surface. Turn out dough on plastic. Fold over to seal and pat dough down until slightly flattened. Chill for about 2 to 4 hours (overnight up to a few days is also allowed, if the cookies are not to be baked right away).
- Once dough is firm enough to handle, unwrap and cut into 25 to 30 pieces. Form each piece of dough into a ball and roll in granulated white sugar. Arrange sugar-coated cookie dough balls on top of each other on covered containers or resealable baggies. Chill for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- On the last 10 minutes of chilling time, preheat oven to 325°F. Take cookie dough balls out of the refrigerator and arrange on baking or parchment paper-line baking sheets, about 1-½ to 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes on the middle rack, or until tops are cracked and edges are firm and crunchy. Remove baking sheets from oven and allow cookies to cool on sheets for 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully transfer cookies, using a spatula, on wire racks and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Makes about 25 to 30 cookies.
- If you prefer light-colored ginger cookies, use granulated or caster white sugar instead of dark and light brown sugars. Use only about 1 to 1-¼ cups white sugar.
- If desired, replace unsalted butter with vegetable shortening for a flakier cookie texture. However, if you prefer cookies that are crunchy on the outside and chewy inside, retain the butter. Shortening would give the cookies a biscuit-like texture.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: Baking and Confections • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • dessert recipes • Desserts • Ginger • ginger cookie recipes • Holiday Cookies • Recipes • Triple Ginger Cookies. Triple Ginger Cookies Recipe. ginger cookies
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!