Spiced Apple Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- milk, as needed to bring about ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 4 large sweet cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 2.5 ounces dates, diced
- 1 ounce golden sultanas
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13x9x2-inch rectangular cake pan or two 8-inch round cake pans with butter. Line with baking paper. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Transfer into a food processor. Add sugar and butter. Process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolk until pale. Pour into a measuring cup. Add vanilla. Pour in enough milk to make ½ cup. Gradually pour into flour mixture and mix until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Beat egg white until stiff. Fold into batter together with orange zest. Set aside.
- Toss apples in butter over medium-high heat. Stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly tender. Pour in honey and corn syrup. Add dates, sultanas, cinnamon and apple pie spice. Cook for another 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is caramelized and apples are evenly coated. Remove from heat.
- Spread apple mixture into prepared pan(s). I using round pans, divide apples evenly. Pipe batter over apple layer and smoothen using a buttered spatula. Sprinkle with almond slivers.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set and tester inserted comes out clean. Actual baking time may be a little shorter or longer, depending on type of pan used. To prevent cake top from browning too much, loosely cover with foil on the last 10 to 12 minutes of baking time.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired. Is using a rectangular pan, cut cake into bars or squares. Cut into wedges, if using round pan.
- For variety, you may choose to line pan with double thickness of baking paper. Spread with batter and top with caramelized apples. Bake as directed. You may also use individual 1-cup ramekins to bake this recipe.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 20, 2016 7:46 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple • apple cake • apple cake recipes • apple desserts • apple recipes • apples • baking • Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Recipes • Spiced Apple Cake • spiced apple cake recipe
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!