- 1-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 pound shrimp, cooked, shelled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh leeks, cut into 1-inch lengths and blanched in salted water
- ½ cup onion rings
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- Combine together flour and salt in a food processor. Process in on-off bursts until combined. Add butter and process until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Beat egg lightly. Pour into food processor bowl. Add ice water. Process until mixture is well-incorporated and begin to take shape. With floured hands, transfer to a floured surface and form into a disc. Loosely wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll out dough and carefully fit onto an ungreased 10-inch pie pan. Cover top with plastic and return to the refrigerator for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat canola oil in a pan over medium heat. Sauté garlic until fragrant but not browned. Add onions. Stir until completely wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add shrimp, thyme, half of the salt and half of the pepper. Continue cooking, with frequent stirring, for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Remove pie pan from refrigerator. Remove plastic and allow dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs until pale and frothy. Add milk, and remaining salt and pepper. Add the sautéed shrimp-leek mixture. Pour filling mixture into pastry.
- Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, or until top is nearly set. Remove from the oven and arrange onion rings on top. Sprinkle cheese over onion rings. Return to oven and continue baking for another 10 to 15 minutes or until top is lightly browned and cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Cut into wedges before serving. Serve while hot.
- If leeks are not available, celery can also be used, as well as carrots or potatoes (both coarsely shredded). Green onions can also be used instead of onion rings. Any other cheese that melts easily may be used to replace cheddar cheese.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 10, 2016 1:02 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: appetizers • appetizers and snacks • brunch • brunch recipes • Eggs • Fish and Seafood • lunch • lunch recipes • quiche • quiche recipes • recipes for quiche • recipes for seafood • recipes for shrimp • seafood • seafood recipes • Shellfish • Shrimp • Shrimp Quiche • Shrimp Quiche recipe • shrimp recipes • snacks
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!