Rum Angel Food Cake with Rum-Crème Anglaise Sauce
- 1-¼ cups cake flour
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1-½ cups granulated sugar
- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1-½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 cups all-purpose cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- a pinch of fine salt
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine together cake flour, salt and ¼ cup sugar. Sift five times. Set aside.
- Sift remaining sugar three times.
- Beat egg whites over high speed until fluffy and light. Sprinkle cream of tartar over whites and beat until stiff. Divide sifted sugar into four portions and gradually beat into egg whites, one portion at a time. Add vanilla and rum extracts together with the last portion of sugar. Do not over mix.
- Remove bowl from mixer. Sift enough flour mixture over egg whites until top is just covered. Fold in using a spatula. Repeat until all of flour mixture is used.
- Spoon batter into a clean, grease-free 10-inch tube pan. Run a knife or spatula into the batter to remove any air pockets. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until top of cake springs back when lightly touched and tester inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Invert pan over a bottle and allow cake to cool completely, about 1 to 2 hours. Once cooled, run a knife around the edges of cake to loosen from pan. Turn out onto a serving platter.
- Pour cream into a pan and cook over medium heat until it boils.
- Whisk together egg yolks, sugar and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Gradually pour in boiling cream over beaten egg mixture while stirring constantly. Gently pour beaten egg yolk mixture into remaining cream in pan while stirring to prevent yolks from curdling. Stir in rum and rum extract.
- Adjust heat to low and return pan over heat. Allow to simmer gently while stirring. Continue cooking until sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Temperature should read 180°F on a candy thermometer. Remove pan from heat.
- Pour sauce into another medium-sized bowl, straining through a fine wire mesh. Set bowl over a larger bowl filled with ice water. Stir crème anglaise until cooled.
- Poke angel food cake with a skewer and spoon Rum-Crème Anglaise Sauce all over cake. Chill, if desired, before serving.
- You may also opt to slice cake into wedges and spoon Rum-Crème Anglaise Sauce over each slice just before serving in individual plates. Serve with fresh or thawed frozen berries. If desired, warm some fruit preserve or coulis and drizzle over Rum-Crème Anglaise Sauce and cake before serving.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of September 30, 2016 6:40 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!