Rocky Road Bars
- 1 box (15 ounces) chocolate cookie mix
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1-½ cups walnuts, toasted and chopped (divided)
- 6 ounces milk chocolate chips
- 1-½ cups white mini marshmallows
- 2/3cup all-purpose cream
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces
- 12 ounces dark baking chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter a 13x9x2-inch rectangular pan and line with baking paper. Set aside.
- Combine together chocolate cookie mix, melted butter, rum, water and beaten egg. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Beat in sugar, butter, flour, rum, vanilla and egg. Stir in 2/3 of the walnuts, reserve the rest for topping.
- Pour over cookie base and spread evenly. Sprinkle chocolate chips over cream cheese layer. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with marshmallows.
- Reduce heat to 325°F and continue baking for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pan from oven and set on a wire rack.
- Pour cream in a saucepan and set over medium heat. When cream reaches boiling point, add butter pieces and allow to melt without stirring. Remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolates. Set aside for 5 minutes until melted. Stir in rum extract. Allow topping to cool for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour over rocky road cake and sprinkle with reserved walnuts. Chill cookie cake for 4 to 8 hours, or until firm. Cut into bars or squares before serving.
- To turn recipe into a super kid-friendly version, replace rum and rum extract with orange or lemon juice.
- Espresso or tea powder can also be added to the rocky road layer ingredients to create variety. Nuts can be omitted and replaced with dried or candied fruit, if desired.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of September 30, 2016 6:40 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • bar cookie recipe • bar cookies • cookie recipe • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Recipes • rocky road bars • rocky road bars recipe • rocky road cookies • rocky road cookies recipe
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!