- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, combined with
- 2 teaspoons confectioner’s sugar or granulated white sugar
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and diced
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut crosswise into 1/8-inch thick pieces
- 1 cup peanuts, lightly roasted and chopped (divided)
- 2 large eggs
- 1-¼ cups granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fine white cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 9x10x2-inch baking pan with some of the softened butter. Line with baking paper. Brush paper with remaining softened butter and lightly dust with cornstarch-confectioners’ sugar mixture. Tap out any excess. Set pan aside.
- Combine together flour, light brown sugar, and butter. Pulse in a food processor until crumbly. Press onto the bottom of prepared pan. Bake in middle rack for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven. Set aside until cooled. Chill, if desired.
- Once crust is cooled, spread all over with rhubarb slices. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the chopped peanuts. Set aside.
- Beat eggs until frothy and pale. Add sugar. Continue beating until light and fluffy. Beat in orange juice.
- Combine together flour, cornstarch and salt. Sift over egg mixture and fold, working in 2 to 3 batches until just incorporated. Spread batter over rhubarb layer. Smoothen top and sprinkle with remaining chopped peanuts.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until set and tester inserted comes out clean. Remove pan from oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. Score top with a knife according to preferred size of bars. Allow to cool completely. Cut into bars before serving.
- Serve bars in muffin paper topped with whipped cream or drizzled with your favorite hot fudge sauce.
- For variety, melt about 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate. Spread over crust before adding rhubarb and peanut layer.
- You can also omit peanuts. Replace with 1/3 cup raisins soaked in 2 tablespoons brandy. Spread raisins and brandy over rhubarb layer before covering with batter. Top with dollops of minted whipped cream before serving.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of September 30, 2016 6:40 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • bar cookie recipes • bar cookies • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Fruits and Vegetables • Recipes • Rhubarb • rhubarb bars • rhubarb cookies • rhubarb desserts • rhubarb recipes • Rhubarb Squares
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!