Pandan Chiffon Cake
- 1-2/3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1/3 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 16 pieces pandan (screwpine) leaves
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup fresh coconut milk (use the product of the first squeeze)
- 7 large eggs, separated
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar (processed until fine), divided
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- few drops pandan extract (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Sift twice and set aside.
- Wash pandan leaves thoroughly in running water and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1-inch lengths, excluding the last inch at the tip as this part can cause itches. Combine the cut leaves with water in a blender or food processor. Pulse until pureed. Transfer puree into a fine wire mesh or strainer over a bowl. Strain pandan puree, using a spoon to squeeze as much juice as possible. Add 3 tablespoons pandan juice to coconut milk and mix well. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until frothy and pale. Add half the sugar and continue beating until creamy. Beat in coconut milk-pandan mixture, canola oil, vanilla and pandan extract, if using. Beat in sifted flour mixture in three additions.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to medium-high and gradually add sugar, beating until egg whites are stiff. Fold in 1/3 of egg whites into the pandan batter. Mix until well combined. Repeat with the remaining egg whites in two additions.
- Spoon mixture into a 10-inch tube pan and tap gently on a hard surface to remove any air pockets. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean and top springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert pan on a bottle and allow cake to cool completely. Once cooled, run a thin knife or spatula around the edges of pan to loosen cake. Turn out on a serving plate and cut into wedges before serving.
- If a 10-inch tube pan is not available, you can pour batter into an 8-inch tube pan until about ¾ full. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until done. Spoon any remaining batter into cupcake paper-lined pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Frost both the chiffon and cupcakes, if desired, or simply dust with sifted confectioners’ sugar on top.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of September 25, 2016 6:29 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • Chiffon Cake • chiffon cake recipes • chiffon cakes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Pandan Chiffon Cake • pandan chiffon cake recipe • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!