Orange Chiffon Cake
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 large egg white (additional)
- 2 cups + 3 tablespoons cake flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1-½ cups granulated white sugar, processed until fine
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, finely grated
- ½ cup safflower oil
- 3 large oranges, juiced (about ¾ cup)
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Separate whole eggs. Add the additional egg white to the other six. Set aside.
- Combine together cake flour, cornstarch, 1 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Sift all together once. Make a well in the center and add orange zest. Set aside.
- Whisk egg whites until lemon-colored and frothy. Whisk in oil, orange juice, Grand Marnier and vanilla. Gradually pour wet ingredients into the well in the center of the flour mixture. Gently whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites on high speed in an electric mixer until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until stiff peak stage is nearly reached, but not quite. Gradually add remaining ½ cup sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold 1/3 of egg white meringue into the egg yolk mixture until well combined. Repeat with the remaining 2/3 in two portions, being careful not to “break” or deflate the egg whites.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Run a knife into the batter to remove large air pockets. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean. Invert pan over a bottle or any other implement that would suspend the pan. Allow cake to cool completely in pan, about 60 to 90 minutes or longer.
- Run a knife or spatula around the sides of pan and its tube to loosen cake. Invert onto a serving plate and dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired. Cut into wedges before serving.
- To make orange trifle, cut cake in half horizontally. Reserve half of cake and cut the other half into cubes. Spread a layer of sweetened whipped cream on the bottom of a trifle dish. Top with 1/3 of the cake cubes, drizzle with rum and top with mandarin orange segments. Cover orange segments with more sweetened whipped cream and repeat layers, ending in cream. Sprinkle with toasted chopped nuts or chocolate shavings and candied orange zest. Chill thoroughly before serving.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 17, 2017 4:03 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • Chiffon Cake • chiffon cake recipes • chiffon cakes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • orange • orange cake recipes • orange cakes • Orange Chiffon Cake • orange chiffon cake recipe • orange dessert recipes • orange desserts • orange recipes • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!