Margarita Angel Food Cake
- 1 cup cake flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1-½ cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon lime liqueur
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime zest, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon lime liqueur
- 2-¼ cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime zest, grated
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Combine together cake flour, salt and ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar. Sift five times. Set aside.
- Sift remaining confectioners’ sugar three times. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until consistency is at soft-peak stage. Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites and continue beating until stiff. Add cream of tartar, fresh lime juice and lime liqueur and beat well. Make sure not to over beat egg whites, or they will “break.” Adjust speed to low and gradually add sifted confectioners’ sugar in four to six batches, beating well after each addition. Remove bowl from mixer. Divide sifted flour mixture into four portions and sift over beaten egg whites one portion at a time, folding in using a rubber spatula. Add grated lime zest with the last portion of the flour mixture. Do not over mix.
- Spread batter into a clean, grease-free 10-inch tube pan. Poke batter with a knife to release any air bubbles trapped within. Bake cake for 45 to 50 minutes or until tester inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Invert pan onto a bottle and allow cake to cool for 1 to 2 hours.
- Combine together fresh lime juice, tequila, orange liqueur and lime liqueur. Beat in 2 cups confectioners' sugar, adding more, if needed, to achieve desired consistency. You can use all of the remaining 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar if you want the glaze to be thicker, adding a little water or milk to thin it out to pouring consistency. Beat in butter and fresh lime zest. Chill for at least 30 minutes before using, if desired.
- Once cake is completely cooled, run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen. Turn cake out onto a serving platter and remove pan bottom. Use a skewer to poke holes all over cooled cake. Generously spoon glaze over cake and allow to soak. Chill before serving, if desired.
- Omit lime juice in cake recipe and replace with 2 to 3 teaspoons tequila, increase lime liqueur to 2 teaspoons. Decorate cake top with thin slices of fresh lime or with thin curled strips of lime zest.
Bestselling Cake Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 23, 2017 4:24 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!