Lemon Tea Cookies
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar + extra for dusting (optional), sifted
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + extra for flouring
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- milk or cream, as needed
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with baking or waxed paper. Set aside.
- Combine together ½ cup confectioners’ sugar and butter. Beat over medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in honey, egg yolk, lemon extract and lemon zest. Beat for another minute until smooth.
- Divide 2 cups flour into three portions. Sift one portion over butter mixture and fold in until uniform in color. Repeat with remaining flour.
- Spoon mixture by the teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheets. Place heaps of mixture about 2 inches apart. Dip a drinking glass lightly in flour and use to flatten dough slightly. Coat bottom of glass with flour as needed, until all heaps of mixture are uniformly flattened.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges begin to brown lightly. Allow cookies to cool on wire racks for 5 minutes, then transfer onto wire racks to cool completely.
- Cream butter until smooth. Add 3 cups confectioners’ sugar and continue beating until creamy and light. Beat in lemon juice and zest. Alternately add remaining confectioners’ sugar and milk (by the teaspoon) until mixture is thick enough to spread. Mixture should have the same thickness as royal icing, or slightly thicker, if desired.
- Use a small offset spatula to spread filling onto the flat side of one cookie. Top with another cookie, flat side down, to make a sandwich. Press lightly for sandwich to adhere. Alternatively, spoon filling into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe filling onto half the cookies and top with the rest. Place on a sheet of wax or parchment paper and dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
- Makes 30 cookies or 15 sandwiches.
- If desired, tint filling with a few drops yellow food color.
- Although these cookies are served mainly with tea, you can actually incorporate the tea into the cookies. Heat lemon juice with 1 tablespoon water until piping hot. Immerse 2 teabags into hot lemon mixture until tea is absorbed. Allow to cool to room temperature. Use in the recipe as per directions.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Holiday Cookies • lemon cookie recipe • lemon cookies • lemon desserts • lemon recipes • lemon tea cookie recipe • Lemon Tea Cookies • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!