Lemon Sugar Cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 1-¼ cups granulated sugar + extra for rolling dough
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest, finely grated (divided)
- 1/3 unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup flavorless vegetable oil (such as canola)
- 1 large egg, well-beaten
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with baking paper or waxed paper. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together 1-¼ cups sugar, cream cheese and lemon zest. Set aside.
- Melt butter on a stovetop or microwave until melted. Allow to cool until just warm. Whisk into the cream cheese mixture together with oil, egg, cream, lemon juice, vanilla and lemon extract.
- Divide sifted dry ingredients into 3 to 4 equal portions. With mixer set to low, beat in dry ingredients into wet mixture, until just moistened. If a flaky cookie is desired, place the soft dough in a single sheet of plastic wrap. Roll into a log and chill for about 20 to 30 minutes. Otherwise, proceed with the next steps.
- Roll dough into a log in between sheets of plastic wrap. (If you chilled your dough, allow to rest for 5 to 7 minutes or until soft enough to cut). Log should be about 2 to 2-½ inches in diameter. Slice into rounds, about ¼ to 1/3 of an inch thick. Roll in additional granulated sugar and place on prepared sheets, about 2 inches apart. Slightly flatten with the bottom of glass (dipped in sugar to prevent from sticking, especially if you chose not to chill the dough).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges just begin to brown lightly. Allow cookies to cool on the sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer onto wire racks until completely cooled.
- If you prefer to glaze the cookies, combine confectioners’ sugar with a few drops of milk or cream. Whisk until desired consistency is achieved. Stir in finely grated lemon zest and spoon over cooled cookies. Set aside until glaze is set. Alternatively, you may also opt not to add grated lemon zest into the glaze, but rather sprinkle them over the iced cookies before the glaze sets.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 17, 2017 4:03 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Holiday Cookies • lemon cookie recipes • lemon cookies • lemon desserts • lemon recipes • lemon sugar cookie recipe • Lemon Sugar Cookies • Recipes • Sugar cookie
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!