Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 medium-sized eggs
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with wax paper. Set aside.
- Cream butter over high speed until creamy and smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium. Add sugar and continue beating for another 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one by one, followed by lemon and vanilla extracts and the lemon zest. Beat mixture for 30 to 45 seconds after adding each ingredient. Scrape bowl as needed.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually fold into the butter mixture until just moistened. Fold in poppy seeds until evenly distributed. Drop teaspoonfuls of batter onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing each heap about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown along the edges and centers are set.
- Cool cookies on sheets for 2 minutes, then turn out on wire racks to cool completely.
- Makes about 40 to 45 pieces (depending on actual size of teaspoon used).
- For a healthier option, substitute 1 egg with 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 2 to 2 tablespoons water and stirred into a thick paste.
- You may also replace ½ cup all-purpose flour with ½ to 2/3 cup almond flour or finely ground almonds.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Holiday Cookies • lemon cookie recipes • lemon cookies • lemon desserts • lemon poppyseed cookie recipe • Lemon Poppyseed Cookies • lemon poppyseed recipes • lemon recipes • poppyseed • poppyseed recipes • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!