Lemon Curd Cookies
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1-¾ cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- ½ cup chilled unsalted butter, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest, grated and finely chopped
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, chopped
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 medium-sized egg yolks
- Combine together flour, ½ to 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse until reduced to coarse moist crumbs.
- Beat egg yolks until smooth. Add vanilla and lemon extracts. Gradually add to butter mixture while continuing to pulse until mixture smoothens and begins to form a dough. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and divide into two. Wrap in plastic and chill for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Unwrap balls of dough and roll out with floured rolling pin until they spread out into 9 to 10-inch discs, about ¼ to ½ inch thick. Wrap in new sheets of plastic and chill for another 50 to 60 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, combine together lemon juice and zest, sugar, butter, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly for 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Beat egg yolks until pale and fluffy. Gradually beat in about ¼ to 1/3 cup of hot lemon mixture into eggs. Once yolks are heated, reduce heat to low and whisk into saucepan until blended with the rest of the lemon mixture. Continue stirring for another 2 minutes, or until curd has thickened enough to leave a trail when ran through with a spoon.
- Spoon curd into bowl. Place plastic wrap right into the surface of curd to prevent a skin from forming. Chill until needed.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line cookie sheets with baking paper. Set aside.
- Unwrap dough and allow to rest for 5 minutes or until just thawed enough to cut. Dip a 2-inch (diameter) round or flower-shaped cookie cutter in flour and use to cut pieces out of the rolled out dough. Arrange cut outs onto prepared cookie sheets. Cut as many pieces as possible from dough and reroll scraps for additional pieces. Repeat with other chilled cookie dough.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or just until edges begin to turn golden. Allow to cool in sheets for 2 to 3 minutes and dredge in remaining confectioners’ sugar. Transfer onto wire racks and allow to cool completely.
- Once cookies are completely cooled, spoon curd into a piping bag fitted with the smallest round nozzle. Alternatively, place in heavy duty plastic bag and snip off the tiniest portion of one corner.
- Place a cooled cookie on a work surface, flat side up. Pipe with a thin coating of lemon curd. Do the same with another cookie. Lightly press cookies together until lemon curd coating on each cookie adheres. Repeat with remaining cookies and lemon curd.
- Arrange cookies on a server or tray and dust with any remaining confectioners’ sugar.
- Another option to make of this great cookie recipe is to shape dough into 1 to 1-½ diameter balls, roll in confectioners’ sugar, and press the center lightly with your thumb to create indentations. Bake according to recipe directions and spoon or pipe lemon curd into the indented portions. Allow cookies to cook completely or until curd filling is set. Dust any remaining confectioners’ sugar over cookies just before serving.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Curd • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Lemon • lemon cookie recipes • lemon cookies • Lemon Curd Cookies • lemon curd sandwich cookies • lemon sandwich cookies • Recipes • sandwich cookie recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!