Lemon Butter Cookies
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1-¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 small or free-range egg yolk, beaten (for brushing)
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar (for rolling)
- Cream butter over medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add confectioners’ sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in large egg yolk, salt, lemon extract, vanilla paste and lemon zest until well-blended.
- Reduce speed to low. Beat in flour and baking soda until just moistened. Do not over mix. Turn out dough on a lightly floured board and knead a little. Divide evenly and shape into two balls. Wrap in plastic and chill for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once dough balls are firm enough to hold their shape, unwrap and pat into logs, about 1 to 1-½ inches in diameter. Rewrap in a new sheet of plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, or up to 3 days. This type of dough freezes well for up to 1 month, as long as plastic wrapping is snug enough to prevent moisture from seeping into the dough.
- Once dough are ready to be worked on, preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with baking paper and set aside.
- Whisk small egg yolk until pale and smooth. Place granulated sugar on a wide, shallow dish or on a sheet of foil.
- Unwrap a log of dough and allow to rest for 3 to 5 minutes or until it can be easily cut, but not mushy. Brush all around with beaten egg yolk and roll in sugar, pressing slightly to adhere.
- Slice dough into ¼ to ½-inch rounds. Arrange on prepared cookie sheets, about ½ to 1 inch apart, depending on the size of cut-outs. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden and edges are slightly crispy.
- Allow cookies to cool in sheets for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn out on wire racks and allow to cool completely.
- Replace regular granulated sugar with large-grain pearl sugar, colored sanding sugar or even coarse light brown sugar for rolling for a more creative approach.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 23, 2017 4:22 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • butter cookie recipes • butter cookies • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Holiday Cookies • Lemon Butter Cookies • lemon cookie recipes • lemon cookies • lemon desserts • lemon recipes • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!