Italian Lemon Cookies
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 large whole eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest, finely grated
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup full-cream milk, warmed
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 box (16 ounces each) confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with baking paper. Lightly coat paper with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cream butter on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until creamy and smooth. Add sugar and continue beating for another 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- Beat in whole eggs and egg yolks, 2 at a time, beating well after adding each batch. Beat for another minute or two until smooth. Add vanilla extract, lemon extract and lemon zest. Beat for 1 minute.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour and baking powder, beating until just incorporated.
- Measure about 2 teaspoons mixture and drop onto prepared cookie sheets, placing heaps about 2 to 2-½ inches apart to allow room for expansion. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown and lightly crispy outside (insides would be chewy).
- Allow to cool in sheets for 3 to 5 minutes, then immerse cookies fully in glaze, about two to three pieces at a time. Remove with a slotted spoon and allow to cool on wire racks (with a baking pan beneath, to catch any drips from the glaze).
- Whisk together 2/3 of the milk, all of the lemon and vanilla extract and half of the confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Alternately add remaining milk and sugar until desired consistency is achieved. Use to dip warm cookies in.
- For decoration, you can choose to sprinkle tops of cookies with candy colored sprinkles or finely chopped nuts.
- You can also whip up an easy glaze for the cookies instead of rolling dough in confectioners’ sugar. Whisk together ½ to 2/3 cup confectioners’ sugar with a few drops of milk or fresh lemon juice and drizzle over cookies once slightly cooled.
- Make a really large batch of dough, roll into individual logs, about 6x2-inches each, wrap in plastic and freeze. Unwrap only the portion you need, thaw until dough is easy enough to slice. Slice off rounds, about 1/3 to ½-inch thick, and bake.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 23, 2017 4:22 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Holiday Cookies • Italian Lemon Cookie Recipe • Italian Lemon Cookies • lemon cookie recipes • lemon cookies • recipe for cookies • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!