Italian Apple Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large golden apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/8-inch thick wedges
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 10-inch springform pan with additional melted butter. Dust with flour. Tap out any excess and set aside.
- Beat eggs until frothy and pale. Add sugar and continue beating until fluffy and thick.
- Combine together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift once. Gradually beat into the egg mixture alternately with milk and melted butter, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Beat in vanilla until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Smoothen top using a spatula. Arrange apple wedges over batter in a concentric circle.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Chill, if desired.
- Once cake is ready to serve, whisk together confectioners' sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and milk. Spoon over cake, allowing any excess to run down the sides.
- Cut cake into wedges and serve.
- For variety, spread half of batter into pan. Top with a layer of apple wedges. Cover with remaining batter. Arrange remaining apple wedges over batter decoratively. Sprinkle with a mixture of ½ cup turbinado or demerara sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Bake as per recipe instructions. Omit sugar glaze. Warm some fruit or berry preserve and spoon over individual cake slices to serve.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple • apple cake • apple cake recipes • apple desserts • apple recipes • apples • baking • Baking and Confections • Cake • Cakes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Italian Apple Cake • Italian Apple Cake Recipe • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!