Ginger Snap Cookies
- 2 teaspoons ginger crystals
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-½ teaspoons ground cinnamon (divided)
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¼ cup shortening, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar (divided)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 to 4 tablespoons molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush cookie sheets with softened unsalted butter. Set aside.
- Place ginger crystals in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse for 30 to 60 seconds or until finely powdered. Transfer onto a mixing bowl. Whisk in sifted flour, baking soda, ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon and coarse salt. Set aside.
- Beat together shortening and butter until creamy and free of lumps. Beat in ½ cup granulated white sugar until very light and fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in egg and molasses. Continue beating for another 2 to 3 minutes to fully incorporate the ingredients. Remove bowl from mixer and stir flour mixture in two to three batches or until well-blended. Dough should come together, but still be soft. For easier handling, wrap dough in plastic and chill for 15 to 20 minutes or until just firm enough to be handled.
- Whisk together remaining ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon and ¼ cup granulated white sugar. Set aside.
- Gather dough and roll into ball. Break off some dough and roll into a ball, about 1 inch in diameter. Roll dough ball into cinnamon-sugar mixture and arrange onto prepared cookie sheet, about 2 to 2-½ inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges begin to crisp and tops are slightly rounded and cracked. If desired, continue baking for another 2 to 3 minutes for crispier cookies. Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow to cool for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer cookies onto wire racks and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Makes 25 to 30 cookies.
- For more gingery cookies, replace ginger crystals with about 1 to 1-½ tablespoons fresh grated ginger.
- If desired, omit cinnamon-sugar mixture for rolling, and immediately dredge cookies into a bowl of sifted confectioners’ sugar right after being taken out of the oven. Cool cookies as directed in the recipe.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: Baking and Confections • cookie recipes • cookies • dessert recipes • Desserts • ginger cookie recipes • ginger cookies • Ginger Snap Cookies • Ginger Snap Cookies Recipe • Holiday Cookies • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!