Ginger Molasses Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup blackstrap molasses
- 1-¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground ginger (or 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder)
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1-¾ cups all-purpose flour
- granulated white sugar or white sanding sugar (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a cookie sheet with baking or waxed paper. Set aside.
- Cream together softened butter and light brown sugar until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in molasses, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Continue beating for another minute or two to fully incorporate ingredients. Beat in egg, while scraping bowl as needed. Remove bowl from mixer and stir in flour in three to four batches, until well-blended.
- Using a small scoop or a buttered tablespoon, drop cookie dough balls (about 1 to 1-½ inches in diameter) into a bowl containing the granulated white sugar. Roll ball of dough until completely coated. Transfer onto prepared cookie sheet, placing each coated dough ball about 2 to 3 inches apart. If desired, slightly flatten dough balls using the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are set and lightly browned while centers are still soft. Remove cookie sheet from oven and allow to cool for 8 to 10 minutes. Then, carefully remove cookies and transfer onto wire racks to cool completely. Frost cooled cookies, if desired.
- Makes about 25 to 30 cookies.
- If you prefer cookies with fun shapes, use about 2 to 2-¼ cups of flour instead of the specified amount on the recipe. The dough would be firmer. Sprinkle granulated sugar on your work surface, divide dough into two equal portions. Roll out a portion of dough to about ¼-inch thickness, and cut with your preferred cookie cutter. Place cut-outs onto prepared cookie sheet and sprinkle with more granulated sugar. Bake as directed in the recipe.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 17, 2017 4:03 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!