Ginger Cookies Recipe
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, ground
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sanding sugar or raw sugar (for rolling)
- Beat together butter and light brown sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Gradually stir in flour mixture into butter mixture until incorporated. Roll dough into a log. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least 1 hour or until firm enough to cut.
- At least 15 to 20 minutes before baking the cookies, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and unwrap. Cut dough into discs about ½-inch to ¾-inch thick. Roll in sanding sugar and arrange on baking paper-lined cookie sheets, at least 2 to 2-½ inches apart to make room for expansion.
- Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned on the edges. If crispier cookies are desired, bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Cool cookies on sheets for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn out onto wire racks until completely cooled.
- If you find fresh ginger to pungent and strong for your taste, you can replace it with candied ginger, available on baking items stores or you can use finely chopped crystalized ginger.
- You may also decorate cooled cookies with a simple frosting of confectioners’ sugar mixed with a little milk or water until thin enough to drizzle.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 22, 2016 7:56 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • ginger cookies • ginger cookies recipe • Ginger Cookies Recipe. easy ginger cookies • Holiday Cookies • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!