German Apple Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 3 large baking apples, peeled, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 3 tablespoons golden seedless raisins or sultanas
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ cup coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- ½ cup pecans, lightly toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9-inch round cake pan. Line with baking paper. Set aside.
- Place butter in a pan and set over low heat. Whisk gently until melted. Whisk in sugar until melted. Remove from heat. Combine together flour and baking powder. Whisk into butter mixture. Beat in egg. Set aside.
- Combine together diced apples, raisins, rum, light brown sugar, apple pie spice, nutmeg and lemon juice. Mix well until apples are completely coated.
- Pour half of batter into prepared pan. Spoon apple mixture over batter. Top with remaining batter mixture, smoothening top. Sprinkle with toasted coconut flakes and chopped pecans.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until center is set and tester inserted comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool completely. Cut into wedges before serving.
- If desired, drizzle cake with warm salted caramel sauce or melted dark chocolate. Top with whipped cream and garnish with berries or fruit slices.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of September 28, 2016 6:36 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple • apple cake • apple cake recipes • apple desserts • apple recipes • apples • baking • Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • German Apple Cake • german apple cake recipe • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!