Country Swiss Steak
- 1 (2 pounds) top round steak, about an inch thick
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, seeded and pureed
- Coat steak in flour seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Pour about 3 tablespoons canola oil in a wide, shallow heavy-bottomed pot (with lid). Brown steak for about 7 to 10 minutes, adjusting heat to medium-low, if needed, to prevent meat from burning. Remove steak from pan with a slotted spoon.
- Add garlic in the same pan and sauté a little until slightly golden and fragrant. Add onions and sauté until wilted. Divide herbs and sprinkle half of each into sautéed garlic and onion. Spread vegetables over the bottom of pot, creating a bed for the steak. Place steak over onions, spooning some over the steak. Sprinkle remaining herbs over steak. Pour in pureed tomatoes. Add about ¼ cup water.
- Cover pot tightly and adjust heat to low. Cook the steak for 1-½ to 2 hours until tender, adding a little water at a time, as needed. Remove cover and season to taste, if needed. Simmer, uncovered, for another 5 minutes until “sauce” thickens.
- Remove steak from pot and slice thinly. Return to pot and serve hot.
- You may add fried carrots and potatoes or stir fried beans and mushrooms before simmering steak.
- You may also choose to slice the steak into bite size pieces after frying
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 27, 2016 8:23 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: beef • beef dinner recipes • beef meals • beef recipes • Country Swiss Steak • dinner • dinner recipes • dinners • meat • meat dinners • meat recipes • Recipes • stak • steak recipes • swiss steak • swiss steak dinners • swiss steak recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!