Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1-½ cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum
- 1-1/3 cups whole hazelnuts, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 310°F. Line cookie sheet(s) with baking paper. Set aside.
- Combine together chocolate and sugar in a food processor. Pulse until fine. Pour into a large bowl. Add flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt. Mix until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Beat eggs until frothy. Beat in vanilla and rum. Pour over flour mixture and mix well until just incorporated.
- Dust hands with cocoa powder. Do not use flour, as this will leave white streaks on the biscotti. Work dough with fingers until the mixture holds together.
- Dust more cocoa powder on your work surface. Lightly knead dough on surface until smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes, then form into a ball. Divide ball into two and form into logs.
- Take a log and place on a sheet of wax paper. Roll out, using a rolling pin dusted with granulated white sugar or cocoa, until flat and about ¼-inch thick. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
- Take the sides of rolled out dough and overlap on top of the hazelnuts. Pinch to seal and reform log. Place onto baking paper-lined cookie sheet, sealed side down. Gently flatten with palms until slightly widened. Repeat with remaining logs of dough and hazelnuts, placing logs on cookie sheet(s) at least one to two inches apart.
- Bake finished logs for 30 to 40 minutes or until firm enough to the touch. Remove cookie sheet(s) from oven and allow biscotti to cool for 10 to 15 minutes or until just warm enough to handle.
- Slice each log diagonally, about ½ to ¾ of an inch thick. Arrange slices back to cookie sheet(s), making sure that pieces do not overlap each other.
- Bake biscotti for another 20 to 30 minutes, according to desired crispiness, turning biscotti over halfway along baking time. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack(s) before serving. Store any leftovers in airtight containers.
- For eggless version of the recipe, omit egg and dissolve espresso in 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water. This will provide moisture to the dough. Drizzle with milk or cream, if needed to avoid getting a very stiff dough. Follow the rest of the recipe as instructed.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 10, 2016 1:02 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • biscotti • biscotti recipes • Chocolate • chocolate biscotti • Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti • chocolate hazelnut biscotti recipe • cookie recipes • cookies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • hazelnut biscotti • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!