Chocolate Chiffon Cake
- 1-¼ cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 4 ounces dark baking chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup hot water
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch tube pan with baking paper. Lightly brush baking paper with softened butter or vegetable oil. Dust with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Combine together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Sift once and set aside.
- Melt dark chocolate and hot water in a pan over medium heat. Pour into a heat-proof bowl and set aside until needed.
- Beat egg yolks on medium speed until frothy and pale. Adjust speed to low and beat in melted chocolate, vanilla and almond extract. Gradually beat in sifted flour mixture until blended. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Beat in cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in granulate sugar, a few tablespoons at a time, until egg white reach stiff peak stage. Fold in 1/3 of the egg whites into chocolate batter. Fold in chocolate batter into remaining egg whites until no white streaks remain visible.
- Spoon batter into prepared tube pan and gently tap on a hard surface to release air pockets. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean and top of cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan over a bottle and allow to cool completely.
- Run a thin knife around the sides of pan to loosen cake. Turn out on a serving platter and peel off paper lining. Sift confectioners’ sugar all over cake and cut into wedges before serving.
- If desired, add ½ to 2/3 cup finely chopped nuts or dried fruit into the batter before baking. You can also use this cake for a chocolate trifle.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 7, 2016 10:41 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • chiffon cake recipes • chiffon cakes • chocolate cake recipes • chocolate cakes • Chocolate Chiffon Cake • chocolate chiffon cake recipe • chocolate desserts • chocolate recipes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!