Chocolate Chiffon Cake Recipe
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-1/3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup corn oil
- 10 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted (for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare a 16-cup tube pan. Make sure it is free of moisture or grease. Otherwise, the cake will deflate.
- Whisk together boiling water and cocoa powder to make a thick paste. Set aside until cooled.
- Combine together cake flour, 1 cup white sugar, baking soda and salt. Sift once and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks until frothy. Beat in corn oil and cocoa paste. Gently stir into sifted dry ingredients until just moistened. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar. Continue beating for another 2 to 3 minutes or until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining granulated white sugar, about 2 to 3 tablespoons at a time, until stiff.
- Fold 1/3 of the stiffly beaten egg whites into the cake batter until completely uniform in color and no pale streaks remain. Fold in remaining 2/3 of the egg whites until well-incorporated. Transfer into prepared tube pan, scraping with a rubber spatula. Run a knife into the batter to release any air pockets and smoothen top.
- Bake in the middle rack for 40 to 50 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Remove pan from oven and invert over a bottle until completely cooled. To remove cake, run a knife around the sides of pan and carefully remove pan sides.
- Transfer cake onto a serving plate and dust with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into wedges before serving.
- Makes 16 servings.
- Spruce up the cake by serving with fresh fruit and berries on the side and drizzled with your favorite fruit or berry coulis.
- You may also brush cake with warmed rum or brandy. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight to allow cake to fully absorb the flavor.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 10, 2016 1:02 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Chiffon Cake • chiffon cake recipes • Chocolate • Chocolate Chiffon Cake • chocolate chiffon cake recipe • Dessert • dessert recipes • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!