- 2-¼ cups cake flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup corn oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2/3 cup very cold water
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine together cake flour, baking powder and salt. Sift twice and transfer into a large, deep bowl. Make a well at the center and set aside.
- Whisk egg yolks until pale and frothy. Whisk in corn oil, vanilla and almond extract. Pour into the center of sifted dry ingredients. Add water. Whisk gently until just incorporated and smooth. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peak stage. Gradually add sugar in portions and continue beating until stiff.
- Fold about 1/3 of the stiffly beaten egg whites into the egg yolk batter, scraping the bottom of bowl to ensure that both mixtures are blended well. Fold in the remainder egg whites in two more portions until no discolored streaks are visible.
- Spoon batter into a ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently tap on a counter or hard surface to release air pockets. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until top of cake spring back when gently touched and tester inserted comes out clean.
- Invert pan over a bottle and allow to cool completely. Run a thin knife around the sides of pan to loosen cake. Cut into wedges before serving.
- Slice cake into wedges and place on individual serving plates. Pile fresh berries on the side of cake slice and drizzle everything with warm caramel sauce or fudge sauce. Serve immediately.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 23, 2017 4:22 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!