Cherry Chocolate Cake
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream, room temperature
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup tart cherries, pitted and halved
- 1-½ cups fresh or frozen cherries, pitted and halved (thaw and drain well, if using frozen cherries)
- 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tablespoon kirsch (or 1 teaspoon cherry extract)
- 3 to 4 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 12-cup Bundt pan with softened butter and dust with additional sifted cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Stir coffee powder into boiling water until completely dissolved. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Combine together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine together eggs and sugar. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Beat in buttermilk, sour cream, melted butter, kirsch and vanilla. Beat well after adding each ingredient to ensure even blending.
- Beat in sifted dry ingredients in 3 to 4 batches. Makes sure to beat well after adding each batch until moistened. Stir in cherries.
- Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan. Bake in the middle rack for 45 to 55 minutes or until set and tester inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cook in pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely to room temperature.
- Place cherries, sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour to masticate.
- Set pan over medium-low heat. Add water and cook for about 5 to 8 minutes or until cherries are soft and can be mashed using a spoon.
- Remove pan from heat. Transfer cherry mixture into a blender or food processor. Pulse until pureed. Strain coulis using a fine wire mesh and stir in kirsch or cherry extract. Set aside to cool.
- Place semisweet chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
- Heat cream over medium heat until bubbles begin to form along the edges. Do not boil. Remove saucepan from heat and pour cream over chocolate chips. Set aside for 5 minutes or until completely melted.
- Once chocolate chips are melted, stir until smooth. Set aside until needed.
- Place chocolate Bundt cake on a serving plate. Spoon cherry coulis all over cake. Spoon chocolate drizzle into a heavy-duty plastic bag. Snip off a small portion of one corner and drizzle chocolate mixture all over cake. Chill for at least 3 to 4 hours, if desired. Cut into slices before serving.
- Makes 12 to 16 servings.
- Coulis can be made at least 2 days ahead and refrigerated until needed.
- If desired, light sift confectioners’ sugar over each cake slice before serving.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 27, 2016 8:23 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • cherry chocolate • Cherry Chocolate Cake • Cherry Chocolate Cake Recipe • cherry chocolate desserts • cherry chocolate recipes • Chocolate • Chocolate cake • chocolate cake recipes • chocolate dessert recipes • chocolate desserts • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!