Caramel Apple Pie
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening, diced and chilled
- ½ cup unsalted butter, diced and chilled
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, chilled
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, diced
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 6 cups apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine flour, light brown sugar and salt. Cut shortening and butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or two knives. The mixture should resemble a coarse cornmeal.
- Beat together half the water, all of the apple cider vinegar and egg yolk. Drizzle over flour mixture and stir with a fork. Gradually add remaining ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough can be gathered into a ball. Divide dough into two equal portions. Wrap each ball of dough in resealable bags and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take one ball of dough and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Remove from plastic bag and roll out on a floured board. Gently ease dough onto a 9-inch pie pan. Trim off any excess, leaving a 1-inch overhang all around. Prick dough bottom with fork tines. Return to the refrigerator until needed.
- Take the second ball of dough and allow to rest before rolling. Roll out into a 12-inch circle, about ¼- to ½-inch thick. Place rolled dough in between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and chill until needed.
- Combine light brown sugar and water in a pan and set over low heat. Cook, without stirring, until sugar is dissolved. Stir in butter and bring to a boil. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until deep amber in color and consistency is thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in half and half and salt. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Drizzle lemon juice over apple slices. Set aside.
- Combine together light brown sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and rum extract.
- Sprinkle over apples and toss until evenly coated.
- Divide filling into 3 equal portions.
- Spoon a portion at the bottom of prepared crust. Drizzle with half of warm caramel. Spread another portion of apples and pour in remaining caramel. Top with third portion of apples. Dot with diced butter.
- Cover filling with prepared top crust. Trim off excess dough. Fold top crust under bottom crust and crimp to seal. Snip top crust with kitchen shears to create steam vents.
- Beat together egg yolk and milk. Generously brush top crust with egg wash.
- Combine light brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over top crust.
- Set pie pan on foil-lined baking sheet and place on middle rack.
- Bake pie at 400°F for 20 minutes or until filling is bubbly.
- Remove pie from oven and loosely cover with foil. Decrease oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 25 to 35 minutes. Remove foil on the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking time.
- Crust should be golden-brown and filling should be tender when tested.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. If desired, allow pie to cool completely, at least 1 hour, then chill before serving.
- Make an extra batch of caramel and cool slightly. Upon serving, top a pie slice with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle with extra caramel.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple • apple caramel • apple caramel pie • apple desserts • apple pie • apple pie recipes • apple pies • apple recipes • apples • baking • Baking and Confections • caramel apple • Caramel Apple Pie • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • pie • pie recipes • pies • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!