Brown Butter Cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 2 large eggs
- Decorator or colored sugar (for rolling)
- Sugar-cinnamon mixture (for rolling)
- Place butter pieces in a heavy-bottomed pan. Melt over medium-high heat until frothy. Continue cooking for 3 to 5 minutes until butter becomes lightly golden. Watch butter carefully to avoid burning. Remove from heat and transfer into a large bowl. Stir in vanilla extract. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together flours, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Add sugar and eggs to cooled brown butter. Whisk until well combined and sugar is nearly dissolved. Add sifted ingredients gradually in 3 to 4 batches. Beat until just incorporated.
- Form dough into 1 to 1-½-inch balls. Roll in decorator sugar or cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on ungreased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. Flatten with fork tines or the base of a cup. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow to cool in cookie sheets for 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer onto wire racks and allow to cool completely.
- For artistic cookie tops, use cookie stamps, potato masher or the patterned base of a glass or cup. You can also choose to flatten cookies with your palms, dusted in sugar, and score tops lightly with a knife to make crisscross patterns.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
The Mother Tongue: English and How it Got that Way
With dazzling wit and astonishing insight, Bill Bryson—the acclaimed author of The Lost Continent—brilliantly explores the remarkable history, eccentricities, resilience a... read more →
Prices are accurate as of December 3, 2016 10:20 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • brown butter cookie recipe • Brown Butter Cookies • Butter • butter cookie recipes • butter cookies • Cookie • cookie recipes • cookies • Cooking • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Recipes • Sugar
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!