Breakfast Sausage and Tomato Crostini
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- ¼ cup garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup red onion, minced
- 4 breakfast sausages or Hungarian sausages, roughly chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) canned diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 loaves (12 ounces each) loaves French bread, sliced diagonally into ½-inch pieces
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and mixed with
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 to 1-½ cups Mozzarella cheese, finely grated
- Pour oil in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Once heated through, add garlic and sauté until fragrant but not too browned. Stir in onions and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes or until transparent. Add chopped sausages. Cook until browned. Spoon or pour off any excess oil.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red bell pepper, basil, rosemary and fennel seeds. Adjust taste with salt and pepper, if needed. Continue cooking, stirring frequently and scraping bottom of pan, until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush each slice of bread with butter and chives mixture. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned. Remove cookie sheet from oven. Do no remove toasts from baking sheets.
- Spoon sausage-tomato mixture over each slice of toast and sprinkle with Mozzarella. Return crostini to oven and bake for another 5 minutes or until mozzarella has melted. Serve while warm.
- Bacon, ham or turkey may also be used in place of sausage. If no fresh herbs are available, used the dried version, reducing quantity to at least 1 teaspoon or according to taste.
- Other crusty breads such as ciabatta, sourdough, pumpernickel or any country-style bread can be used as base.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 10, 2016 1:02 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: appetizer • appetizer and snacks • appetizer recipes • appetizers • Breakfast Sausage and Tomato Crostini • Breakfast Sausage and Tomato Crostini Recipe • crostini • crostini recipes • Fruit and Vegetable • meat • Recipes • Sausage • Snack • snack recipes • snacks • Tomato
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!