Best Black Forest Cake
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 1-¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons plain yoghurt
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons kirsch or any other cherry liqueur
- reserved 2 tablespoons cherry juice from canned pitted cherries
- ½ can (of a 15-ounce can) pitted cherries, drained, reserve some of the juice
- 1/3 cup seedless cherry jam or preserves
- 1-½ cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 12 ounces fresh cherries (with stems)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously brush two 8-inch round cake pans with additional softened butter. Set aside.
- Combine together softened butter and chopped dark chocolate in a pan. Set over medium-low heat and cook until both are completely melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine together flour, light brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Sift once and set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and yogurt. Carefully stir into the sifted dry ingredients together with melted chocolate. Add boiling water while stirring until just combined.
- Whisk on medium speed until wet and dry ingredients are well-blended and free of lumps. Pour batter evenly between prepared pans and bake for 22 to 25 minutes or until tester inserted comes out clean.
- Allow cakes to cool in pans for 8 to 10 minutes then, turn out onto wire racks. Prick cakes (while still hot) with a skewer or fork tines, being careful not to break them.
- Mix together kirsch and reserved juice from canned cherries. Spoon over cake, or alternatively, pour into a small spritzer bottle and spritz all over cakes. Allow cakes to cool completely until kirsch mixture is completely absorbed.
- Toss together canned pitted cherries and cherry jam or preserve and cook over low heat until jam is spreadable. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Heat half of the cream until it nearly reaches boiling point and bubbles begin to form on the edges. Remove from heat and pour over chopped chocolates. Set aside until chocolates and melted and mixture is of spreading consistency.
- Beat together remaining cream and all of the confectioners’ sugar until doubled in volume and fluffy.
- Spread sweetened whipped cream over one cake layer and top with cherry jam mixture. Cover with remaining cake layer. Pour melted chocolate ganache over top layer and decorate with stemmed fresh cherries. If desired, chill before cutting and serving.
- Double the amount of the sweetened whipped cream and cover the entire cake with white frosting and decorate sides with chocolate shavings or grated chocolate. Decorate top with stemmed cherries.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 7, 2016 10:41 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: Best Black Forest Cake • best black forest cake recipe • Black Forest • black forest cake • black forest cake recipes • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • Chocolate • chocolate desserts • chocolate recipes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!