Banana Pound Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1-¾ cups granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 5 large eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons banana essence
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tub (8 ounces) sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup rum
- 2 tablespoons Crème de Bananes (banana liqueur such as De Kuyper)
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, diced
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ cup Crème de Bananes (banana liqueur such as De Kuyper)
- 4 large ripe bananas, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 1/3 cup light rum
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush a 16-cup (10x4 inches) tube pan with additional softened butter and dust with flour. Tap out any excess. Set aside.
- Cream butter on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Beat in granulated and light brown sugars for another 3 to 5 minutes or until very light and fluffy. Crack eggs over butter mixture one by one, beating well after each addition. Beat in honey, banana essence and vanilla.
- Sift together flour and baking soda. Alternately beat flour mixture with sour cream into butter mixture, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Fold in mashed bananas.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes or until tester inserted into the thickest part of cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack.
- Stir together rum and Crème de Bananes. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Poke cake with a skewer and brush all over with the warmed rum mixture. Refrigerate cake for at least 4 hours or overnight to allow rum to be fully absorbed.
- Cook together light brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and Crème de Bananes over medium-low heat, with constant stirring, until nearly boiling. Stir in bananas and continue cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and pour into a heat-resistant bowl. Pour rum over sauce. Ignite rum fumes. Wait until flames fully subside.
- Cut cake into wedges and place on individual serving plates. Spoon Banana Flambé Sauce over each slice and serve with ice cream or berries.
- You may also flambé sauce in the saucepan, if cake is to be served right away, and pour or spoon sauce over cake slices right from the pan.
- You may also replace banana with lemon or orange zest (finely grated), diced mango, pineapple chunks, berries or any other fruit in season. Make sure to drain juice when using fruit in the cake batter.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 10, 2016 1:02 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baking • Baking and Confections • banana • banana cake • banana cake recipes • banana cakes • Banana Pound Cake • banana pound cake recipe • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • Pound cake • pound cake recipes • pound cakes • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!