Baked Cod in Tomato Sauce
- 2 pounds cod fillets (thaw if using frozen cod fillets)
- 2 tablespoons freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- ¼ cup garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup onions, chopped
- ½ inch fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder, divided
- 2 cups tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ¼ teaspoon mixed spice or Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Wash cod fillets on running water. Pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle with lemon juice. Sprinkle salt, pepper and cayenne powder over fish. Use your hands to mix until cod fillets are coated with seasonings. Marinate for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet. Sauté garlic until fragrant but only lightly browned. Add onions and sauté until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger and cumin. Continue stirring until fragrant. Stir in tomatoes until tender and juices begin to pool inside pan. Add mixed spice or Cajun seasoning, soy sauce and water. Stir until sauce begins to sizzle and thickened. Turn off heat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x10-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat more oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Add 1 to 2 cod fillets and sear to lock in the juices and surface of fish is browned. Repeat with remaining fillets, if available.
- Arrange pan-fried cod fillets onto prepared pan. Spoon hot tomato sauce over fish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and cheese begins to melt. Serve warm.
- Makes 4 to 6 servings, depending on size and quantity of fillets.
- For quick and easy version, pan-fry cod fillets as per recipe directions. Arrange fillets in prepared baking dish. Pour 2 cups store-bought bottled or canned tomato sauce. Sprinkle with your choice of herbs and spices and top with cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until done.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 24, 2016 8:08 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: baked cod • Baked Cod in Tomato Sauce • Baked Cod in Tomato Sauce Recipe • baked cod recipes • cod • cod recipes • dinner • dinner recipes • fish • Fish and Seafood • fish recipes • Recipes • Tomato • Tomato sauce
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!