Avocado and Egg Roll-Ups
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons white onion, minced
- ¼ cup carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet corn kernels (drain, if using canned corn)
- ¼ cup cooked peas (drain, if using canned cooked peas)
- ¼ cup sweet or spiced ham, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon tabasco sauce or to taste (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 2 large avocado, pitted and sliced thinly
- 20 to 24 egg roll wrappers
- Additional canola oil for frying
- 2/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 2 teaspoons water
- Sugar to taste (optional)
- Pour canola oil in a saucepan and set over medium heat. Once oil is heated through, about 2 minutes, sauté garlic until fragrant but not too browned. Add onion and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes or until transparent. Stir in carrots. Continue stirring for another 3 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Add sweet corn kernels, cooked peas, ham, basil, soy sauce, tabasco sauce (if using), salt and pepper. Stir for another minute to allow flavors to fuse together. Pour in beaten eggs and stir, while breaking up clumps of the filling, until liquid has evaporated and mixture is nearly dry. Reduce heat to medium-low, if needed, to prevent the eggs from getting charred. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool until just warm.
- Combine together honey, white wine vinegar, garlic, onion, lemon juice, soy sauce, mustard, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat or until sauce has thickened, about 3 to 5 minutes. If desired, stir in dissolved cornstarch to thicken the sauce further. If you prefer the sauce to be sweeter, add a little more sugar, according to taste. Continue cooking for another minute until desired thickness is achieved.
- Remove pan from heat and pour sauce into a medium-sized dipping bowl or pour into several small dipping bowls. Keep warm in an oven, or cook the sauce a few minutes before serving the roll ups.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons or so of the egg mixture near the center of each egg roll wrapper. Place a slice or two of avocado over egg mixture. Trim avocados to fit the width of egg roll wrappers, if needed. Fold both sides of wrapper toward the filling in the center, and gently roll wrapper to up completely encase filling. Seal edges with water or beaten egg white. Place seam side-down on a plate. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- Pour enough oil in a deep pot or pan to fully submerge rolls and set over medium-high heat. Deep fry rolls, in batches, until golden and crispy, about 2 to 4 minutes. Drain thoroughly on paper towels. Cut each roll diagonally crosswise. Serve rolls around dipping sauce bowl. Serve hot or warm.
- Makes 20 to 24 whole rolls/ 40 to 48 halves.
- Sauce can be cooked a day ahead and refrigerated in a covered container. Reheat or microwave until hot just before serving.
- Rolls can also be prepared ahead. Fry just before serving. Alternatively, you can arrange rolls on a wax paper-lined baking sheet. Drizzle with canola or olive oil and bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- If you find avocado slices to too bulky, you can mash them with a little salt and pepper and spoon over egg mixture.
- You can also use any other frozen or canned mixed vegetables to replace carrots, peas and corn. Thaw and drain completely before using.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 21, 2016 7:51 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: appetizer • appetizer and snacks • appetizer recipes • appetizers • Avocado • Avocado and Egg Roll-Ups • Avocado and Egg Roll-Ups Recipe • Fruit and Vegetable • Recipes • roll ups • roll ups recipes • Snack • snack recipes • snacks
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!