Applesauce French Toast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, or as needed
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, loosely packed
- 10 to 12 slices white bread with crusts on, each cut diagonally to from triangles
- 1 jar (8 ounces) applesauce
- Pour about ½ to 1 teaspoon oil in a 12-inch (diameter) non-stick skillet and set over medium-low heat. Tilt skillet until bottom and sides are evenly coated with oil.
- Whisk eggs until foamy and pale. Whisk in milk, vanilla, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Continue whisking for another 1 to 2 minutes until full incorporated. Set aside.
- Mix together remaining ¼ teaspoon cinnamon and light brown sugar. Set aside.
- Dip each triangle of bread into the egg mixture, turning over to coat the other side. Transfer into the oiled skillet and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until it turns brown. Flip over to cook the other side. Repeat with remaining bread slices and egg mixture.
- Once all of the bread slices are toasted, arrange half of the toasts at the bottom of the skillet. Pour in half of the applesauce and half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cook on low heat for a few minutes, or until applesauce is warmed and sugar mixture begins to caramelize. Transfer saucy toasts into individual plates. Repeat with the remaining toasts, applesauce and cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve warm.
- Makes 5 to 6 servings.
- You may also add a dash of apple pie spice and a splash of rum or brandy into the egg mixture for added flavor.
- Another version is to include 4 ounces applesauce into the egg mixture and beat well. Follow the recipe as directed, up until the step where you cook the toasts in applesauce. Replace applesauce with ¼ cup rum or brandy (per batch). Sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture and light up rum or brandy fumes (not the liquid itself) with a kitchen match, cooking the toasts flambé-style. Wait until the flames subside before transferring toasts into plates.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 23, 2016 8:04 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple • applesauce • Applesauce French Toast • Applesauce French Toast Recipe • breakfast • breakfast recipes • brunch • brunch recipes • Cinnamon • french toast • french toast recipes • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!