Apple Mango Pie
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, diced
- ¼ to 1/3 cup ice water
- 2-½ cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced into ¼-inch thick wedges
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups fresh ripe mangoes, peeled and sliced into ½-inch thick wedges (include any juice)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons juice from fresh mango or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon water
- Combine flour, light brown sugar and salt in a bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut butter into the flour mixture until it resembles a coarse meal. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons water and stir with a fork. Continue adding more water, about 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time, until mixture can be gathered into a ball.
- Divide dough into two, with one portion slightly larger than the other. Place in resealable bags and chill for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once done, allow dough to rest for 5 to 8 minutes. Roll out larger dough ball into a 12-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick. Carefully lay rolled out dough into a 9-inch pie pan and trim edges, about ½ to 1 inch from the rim of pan. Prick dough bottom with fork tines and chill until needed.
- Roll out remaining dough into a 12-inch circle. Sandwich between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and chill until needed.
- Combine together apple slices, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Toss until apples are evenly coated. Gently toss in mangoes and apple juice. Sprinkle tapioca flour and toss again to blend. Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes. Chill, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spoon filling into prepared bottom crust and spread evenly. Dot with softened butter.
- Carefully place top crust over filling and trim off excess dough. Fold top crust under bottom crust and crimp as desired. Snip top crust with kitchen shears to allow steam to escape.
- Beat together egg yolk, mango or apple juice and water. Generously brush over top of pie.
- Bake pie for 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F and continue baking for another 25 to 35 minutes or until apples in filling are tender when tested.
- Remove pie from oven and allow to rest at least 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, cool completely and chill before cutting.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and drizzle with warm caramel or chocolate sauce.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 17, 2017 4:03 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple • apple desserts • Apple Mango Pie • apple pie • apple pie recipes • apple pies • apple recipes • apples • Baking and Confections • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • fruit • fruit desserts • fruit pies • mango • mango desserts • mango pies • mango recipes • pie • pie recipes • pies
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!