Apple French Toast With Caramel Sauce
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 16 slices Italian or French bread
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Combine light brown sugar and corn syrup in a pan. Set over medium-low heat and stir until melted and bubbly. Add apple slices and water. Cover and cook until apples are tender, stirring occasionally to prevent sugar from sticking to the pan, about 3 to 5 minutes, depending on thickness of apples slices. Sprinkle with walnuts. Stir until nuts are coated with caramel. Set aside to cool.
- Spread butter thinly on one side of each slice of bread. Spoon a thin layer of candied apples over buttered side of bread. Cover with another piece of bread, buttered side down. Chill “sandwiches” for at least 10 minutes for butter to harden.
- Whisk eggs until frothy. Gently whisk in milk, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and lightly brush with butter.
- Remove “sandwiches” from refrigerator. Dip each “sandwich” into the milk mixture, making sure that it does not split apart. Place a “sandwich” or two over buttered skillet and toast until lightly browned. Flip and cook other the other side. Place toasted sandwich in a heat-proof plate and keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with remaining “sandwiches” and egg-milk mixture.
- Combine light brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt in a pan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla or almond extract.
- Slice each toasted “sandwich” diagonally into triangles. Place two triangles of toasted “sandwiches” on individual plates. Liberally spoon hot caramel sauce over toasts and serve immediately.
- Spoon a thin layer of caramel sauce on a generously buttered 9x12-inch pan. Arrange half of the bread slices over caramel. Spoon and spread candied apples of bread layer. Cover with remaining bread slices. Pour egg-milk mixture over top layer of bread. Spoon remaining caramel sauce over egg-milk mixture and bake at 350°F for 20 to 30 minutes or until bread slices begin to brown and caramel is bubbly and really thick. Cool completely in pan and slice like a cake or pie before serving. Top with more caramel sauce, if desired.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of December 7, 2016 10:41 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple • apple breakfast • apple french toast • apple french toast recipe • Apple French Toast With Caramel Sauce • Apple French Toast With Caramel Sauce Recipe • apple recipes • apples • Caramel • caramel apple • caramel apple recipes • caramel sauce • french toast • french toast recipes • Sauces Dips Gravies and Toppings
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!