Apple Crumble Pie
- 1-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup shortening, frozen and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter, frozen and diced
- 2 tablespoons very cold apple juice
- 2 tablespoons ice water, or as needed
- 8 cups apples, peeled, cored and sliced into 1/4-inch thick wedges
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup frozen unsalted butter, diced
- Combine together flour, light brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Add shortening and butter. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, cut shortening and butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Mix together apple juice and 1 tablespoon ice water. Drizzle over crumbs. Stir with a fork until clumps begin to form. If mixture is too dry, drizzle with additional ice water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Gather dough into a ball and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Flatten with your hands into a disk and sandwich between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Chill for at least 25 to 30 minutes or until firm.
- Once dough is firm, dust a rolling pin with flour. Peel off top portion of plastic and roll out dough into a 12-inch circle, about ¼-inch thick. Carefully fit dough into a 9-inc pie dish. Trim off excess dough, leaving an overhang of about ½ inch. Pleat rim of dough as desired. Prick dough bottom with fork tines. Chill until filling is ready.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine apples slices, light brown sugar, flour, rum extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, apple pie spice and melted butter in a large bowl. Toss lightly until well blended.
- Spoon into prepared pasty shell, mounding filling in the center.
- Combine together flour, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, apple pie spice and salt in a food processor. Pulse until blended. Add diced butter, a few pieces at a time, pulsing well after each addition, until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- Sprinkle crumble topping over filling mixture.
- Set pie dish on middle rack and bake for about 40 minutes, or until golden. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F. Loosely cover top of pie with foil. Continue baking for another 35 to 45 minutes or until apples in pie center are tender when tested and filling is bubbly. Remove pie from oven and discard foil cover.
- Allow pie to cool for at least 10 to 15 minutes before cutting. If desired, allow to cool completely, about an hour, then chill until ready to serve. Serve warm or chilled.
- Top each slice with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle with ice cream or hot fudge sauce before serving. Spicy-caramel sauce would also be great alternative to the fudge sauce.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 16, 2017 4:00 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: apple crumb pie • Apple Crumble Pie • apple desserts • apple pie • apple pie recipes • apple pies • apple recipes • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • dutch apple pie • pie • pie recipes • pies
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!