Apple Cranberry Pie
- 2-½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 to ½ cup ice water
- 8 pieces sweet baking apples
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons plain sanding sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare a 9-inch pie dish.
- Combine together flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a food processor. Pulse until well combined. Add butter and continue processing until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Drizzle ¼ cup ice water over mixture and pulse until it holds its shape. If mixture is still crumbly, add about ½ to 1 tablespoon at a time, processing after each addition, until mixture sticks together but not mushy or sticky.
- Transfer on a flat surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes until smooth. Divide dough into 2 parts, with 1 portion slightly larger than the other. Cover with plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- After an hour, remove dough balls from the refrigerator. Unwrap and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and spread out the smaller dough with your hands. Dust rolling pin with flour and roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick. Gently fit onto the bottom and sides of the pie dish, allowing about 1 inch of the dough to hang over the rim. Trim any excess dough.
- Roll out larger dough into a 12-inch circle. Place between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Return dough into the refrigerator.
- Peel each and cut in half. Core apples and slice into ½-inch wedges. Drizzle with lemon juice to prevent browning. Add cranberries, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, orange liqueur, ground cinnamon and salt. Toss lightly until well-blended.
- Remove dough-lined pie dish from refrigerator. Prick dough with fork tines.
- Spoon filling into prepared bottom crust, spreading evenly. Dot with chopped butter. Place 12-inch circle of dough over filling and crimp edges. Use a pair of kitchen shears to snip top crust, creating vents for steam to escape. Freeze until firm, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Brush generously on top crust.
- Combine sanding sugar and ground cinnamon. Sprinkle over top crust.
- Bake pie at 425°F for 12 to 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F. Continue baking until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Loosely cover top of pie with foil if it browns too quickly.
- Remove pie from the oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes before cutting.
- Top each pie slice with a dollop whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream and drizzle with fruit coulis or warmed fruit jam. Serve either warm or chilled.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of January 24, 2017 4:22 am. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: Apple Cranberry Pie • apple desserts • apple pie • apple pies • apple recipes • Baking and Confections • cranberry apple pie • cranberry pie • cranberry pies • Dessert • dessert recipes • Desserts • pie • pies • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!