Almond French Toast
- ¾ cup almonds, lightly toasted and sliced
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed (divided)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 6 slices (each about 1-¼-inch thick) brioche, toasted
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-½ cups almond milk
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or any almond-flavored liqueur (optional)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of coarse salt or to taste
- maple syrup
- confectioners' sugar, sifted
- fresh raspberries, washed and patted dry
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously brush a 13x9-inch rectangular baking dish with softened butter. Set aside.
- Mix together sliced almonds, half of the light brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter until nuts are evenly coated. Set aside.
- Arrange slices of brioche at the bottom of the baking dish. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs until foamy and pale-colored. Pour in almond milk, Amaretto (if using), almond extract, vanilla extract, salt and the remaining light brown sugar until well-blended. Pour milk mixture over bread slices and allow to soak for 5 minutes. Drain off any remaining milk mixture, and spoon all over the bread slices again. Set aside for another 5 minutes or until all of the milk mixture is completely absorbed by the bread. Sprinkle top with almond-sugar mixture.
- Cover top of baking dish with parchment or baking paper. Place foil over parchment paper layer and crimp to seal. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove foil and parchment covers. Continue baking for another 15 to 20 minutes or until toasts are slightly puffed and golden.
- Transfer toasts onto individual plates. Drizzle with maple syrup, dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with a side of fresh raspberries. Serve hot or warm.
- Makes 3 to 6 servings.
- You may also use regular sandwich bread slices or slices of rustic bread. Trim crusts, if desired.
- For a more classical version, use whole or fresh milk instead of almond milk.
- As a variation, use 12 thin slices of crustless, regular sandwich bread. Sandwich a slice of quick-melting cheese in between two bread slices and press lightly to adhere. Arrange sandwiches at the bottom of the baking dish and follow the rest of the steps according to the recipe.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of October 22, 2016 7:56 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!