Almond Chocolate Cake
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons rum
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar, divided
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup cake flour, sifted
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons rum
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 2/3 to ¾ cup almonds, lightly toasted and slivered
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan with baking or parchment paper. Butter paper sides of pan. Dust with sifted unsweetened cocoa powder and set aside.
- Place chopped chocolate and rum in a heat-proof bowl. Set over a pan of simmering water, making sure not to let the bottom of bowl touch the surface of the water. Once chocolate is completely melted, remove from heat and set aside.
- Cream butter over medium speed until creamy and smooth. Reduce speed to low. Add 1 cup sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks one by one, beating well after adding each. Set aside.
- Using a clean mixer, beat egg whites with salt on medium speed until frothy. Gradually add 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time while beating, until soft peaks begin to form. Increase speed to high and continue beating until stiff. Set aside.
- Once melted chocolate has considerably cooled, carefully blend into the butter mixture. Make sure that melted chocolate has cooled. Otherwise, hot melted chocolate would melt the butter. Blend in ground almonds, almond extract and vanilla.
- Fold in ¼ of the stiffly beaten egg whites until incorporated and no white streaks are visible. Fold in 1/3 of the remaining egg whites, followed by 1/3 of the cake flour. Continue folding the remaining egg whites and cake flour in two more portions. Continue folding until completely blended and color is uniform.
- Transfer batter into prepared pan, spreading it evenly and smoothening the top. Bake on the middle rack for 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set and tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cake in pan for 10 to 15 minutes. Run a thin knife around the edges of pan and gently remove the rims. Gently slide cake off of the pan bottom and onto a wire rack to cool completely, about 2 hours more.
- Combine together chopped semisweet chocolates and rum in a heat-proof bowl. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure that bowl does not touch the surface of the water. Allow bowl to remain on the pan for 5 minutes. Remove pan (with simmering water) from heat, and leave bowl over pan for another 5 minutes or until chocolate becomes glossy and completely melted.
- Remove bowl from pan and carefully stir in butter, one piece at a time. Set bowl over an ice water bath and beat until cooled to a spreading consistency.
- Spread a thin layer of Chocolate Frosting over cake stand. Set cake over frosting to secure. Spread a thin layer of frosting over cake to make a “crumb crust.” Chill for 15 to 20 minutes or until frosting is set.
- Using an offset spatula, generously spread the remaining frosting over cake. If desired, reserve some of the frosting for piping and decoration. Press slivered almonds onto the top and sides of cake. Chill for at least 4 hours, or overnight, until frosting is completely set. Cut into wedges before serving.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- You can also bake this recipe quantity using a 13x9-inch rectangular cake pan to make a sheet cake.
- If desired, split round cake into two layers. Fill with your favorite vanilla or buttercream filling and follow the rest of the steps to frost cake.
Bestselling Products on Amazon
Prices are accurate as of September 30, 2016 6:40 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.
Tagged with: Almond • Almond Chocolate Cake • Almond Chocolate Cake Recipe • Baking and Confections • Cake • cake recipes • Cakes • Chocolate • Chocolate cake • chocolate cake recipes • chocolate dessert recipes • chocolate desserts • chocolate recipes • dessert recipes • Desserts • Recipe • Recipes
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!